Sunday, November 24, 2013

spur.

there is a change in the air. 
a nip in the mornings and fog clouding the tall trees. 
the leaves are falling. 
the birdcalls in the early morning sound different.
even in the little tropical haven in Kerala, i now live in, there is an unmistakable change in the air. 
enough to shake me out of hibernation.

trh-spur

its has been a long monsoons this time. 
one that drenched Onam, Kerala's harvest festival,
which is meant to be bright and sun-shiny
 and cheered with flowers.
the rains have continued with almost no break
into the thunderstorms characteristic of the Malayali month of thulaam.

Untitled

my camera sank in the depths of the damp, 
as did one of my most prized lenses.
they are both resting in the sick shelf of my room,
along with my Macbook - my window to the world.
but, the bursts of sunshine 
has inspired us enough to put our sparkle on. 
and, shimmer in the sunlight.
literally.

trh-spur

the rains continue,
sometimes not stopping for hours.
despite the cloudy gloom
and the sodden grounds,
the feeling that better things are yet to come 
manages to reign strong.

trh-spur

Christmas is not far away.
things will look up.


ps
i do love leaves!

8 comments:

Shalini said...

Beautifully written as always. But there is something different here, the way you write about the ups and downs of life mirrored by nature. We just all need to bounce back as easily as nature. Yes, Christmas is coming and with it brings a new year of hope and anticipation. And shimmer!!!

Shilpa said...

thank you Shalini :)

nature is the best teacher, and i am lucky to be surrounded by pristine nature and beautiful, strong friends!

Hannah said...

Lovely lovely mood you've created here. I could just curl up under my quit and hibernate. But then, you remind me of the warm glow of christmas - so now its time to put aside all lethargy and get gung-ho.

Enjoy your life with all its blessings :)

Hannah said...

Lovely lovely mood you've created here. I could just curl up under my quit and hibernate. But then, you remind me of the warm glow of christmas - so now its time to put aside all lethargy and get gung-ho.

Enjoy your life with all its blessings :)

Shilpa said...

oh no asha>
no hibernating. i know you have a huge jar of dry fruits soaking up the rum and a ikea lanterns waiting to be filled with christmasy goodness :D

thank you :)

KitchenKarma said...

what a lovely, lovely write-up...I love the rains in India. But I know after a while it get's to you...

Shilpa said...

thank you suchismitha!

Shilpa said...

thank you suchismitha!